Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:55:06 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        ade@demon.net, Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panics with SMP and NFS

On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 04:39:54PM -0600, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Glenn Johnson writes:
> >
> >I don't know if this is an NFS or SMP problem but I get the following when I
> >try to use NFS on an SMP system.
> >
> >	"panic: bremfree: removing a buffer when not on a queue
>
> Looks like a {V,N}FS problem rather than SMP -- at least I've just
> seen this happen a few times on a single-cpu box - there doesn't
> seem to be any repeatability to the problem, just effectively
> random NFS hangs, then a panic and reboot.
>
> Peeking at the code, it seems that this panic (and a bunch of other
> stuff) is only called if MAX_PERF is undefined -- sadly, no mention
> of MAX_PERF is made in any of the kernel config files (even LINT).

I'll check with John and possibly add this as a commented out option
in LINT.

However, the only thing adding MAX_PERF will do is remove a bunch of
cheap sanity checking - when something panic() when that is not
defined, it just mean you'd be getting incorrect results if MAX_PERF
had been defined.  That wouldn't really be of help.

Eivind.