Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:43:58 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        aturoff@isinet.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Promo Opportunity

Adam Turoff wrote:

> Eric Raymond, et alia, released a letter today addressing
> Steve Ballmer's more frequent musings about taking parts of
> Windows OpenSource.  (http://linuxtoday.com/stories/4801.html)
>
> Ed Muth has been trying to FUD open source with his foot
> in his mouth a lot about how Open Source (specifically Linux)
> won't work for the typical tech buyer (i.e. CIO), mostly
> because anyone can hack open sources.
>
> His latest quote:
>
>  "We have been able to avoid the fractionalization of the
>  Windows NT marketplace by bringing the work that people
>  do back into a well-controlled source tree and making
>  sure it gets subjected to the same quality control,"
>  said Ed Muth, Microsoft's group manager for Windows 2000.
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/filters/printerfriendly/0,6061,2239301-2,00.html
>
> This is just *BEGGING* for a response from an open source project
> with a core team.

OK, I answered, let's see if they have the balls to publish it.
The gist of my response is that all "open source" operating systems
subject contributed code to architectural review just as the Win2K
bug does, and the real differences boil down to the control and
the vision of the architect.  I scored that one thusly:

	#1: David Greenman
	#2: Theo DeRaadt
	#3: whomever is in charge of Solaris these days
	#4: Linus Torvalds
	#5: Tim Swihart (MacOS X -- may be moving up fast)
	somewhere later: Dave Cutler (OS/2 NT, Win NT, Win 2K, whatever)

I'll post here if they actually print my comment.