Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 00:06:22 +0900 (JST)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.ne.jp>
To:        john@drexeltech.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to force GMT/UTC

From: John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
Subject: How to force GMT/UTC

john> If I have servers (all FreeBSD) in many different timezones, how do I force
john> all of them to consider their system time to be GMT/UTC?

Hello John,

  I asked the same question two years ago, almost exactly, on this same
Mailing List.  I recall being advised to do this:

  Look in "/usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc"
You will find many small files: GMT, GMT+0, GMT+1, etc

  First, be cautious
  # mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.OK

  Second, copy the file
  # cp -p /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT /etc/localtime

  I don't have my notes handy, but I think this is what I do each time
I install FreeBSD.  The FreeBSD installation allows me to select many timezones,
but not GMT.  This lack of GMT TZ selection during "Install" strikes me as odd.

  I don't know about the documentation regarding this, and I don't know why there
are "GMT", "GMT0", "GMT+0", "Greenwich", "Universal", "UTC", "UCT", "Zulu"
which all seem to signify the same timezone.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat