Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2019 02:31:52 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@allbsd.org>
To:        luthramihir708@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, hrs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpc.statd already ipv6 clean?

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Sep_27_02_31_52_2019_841)--

Mihir Luthra <luthramihir708@gmail.com> wrote
  in <CAEa=dYCv=b7JxW4Ajc+gBNaC7z_SEiUhwyPz5vxjUNdkzvVmHQ@mail.gmail.com>:

lu> >
lu> >  I think you should learn TI-RPC API first.  The nettype specifies a
lu> >  class of transport protocol, not address family.
lu> >
lu> > Thanks, I did some more research on TI-RPC today.
lu> In `statd.c` what I see is in `create_service()`/`complete_service()`,
lu> transport info is being fetched through getnetconfig(), which makes it
lu> listen on all transports. I guess its clean in `statd.c` but same can also
lu> be done in `procs.c`/`file.c`. Maybe trying all transports until it finds
lu> one which is connectionless? Apologies if I got something wrong, new to
lu> this topic.

 clnt_create() checks /etc/netconfig and tries all of the transport
 protocols with the specified class which are listed there, and then
 chooses the first usable one.  So if IPv6 is available, "udp6" will
 be used because it is before "udp".

 statd.c handles the bind addresses on the server (service) side while
 file.c and procs.c handle the client calls.  They are different.

lu> Also, while looking at the code, I think it always assumes ipv4 is always
lu> present. Like `127.0.0.1` is added to host list always. On ipv6 only
lu> machine this may fail.

 Yes.  We should fix this kind of hardcoded loopback addresses and
 make userland utilities transport-independent wherever possible.  It
 can be replaced with getaddrinfo() with AF_UNSPEC for all available
 address families.

-- Hiroki