Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:55:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wes Morgan <morganw@chemicals.tacorp.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC from today does not detect system console on my box

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Donn Miller wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> >     My test box, with a pristine 5.x kernel, crashes on boot... it only
> >     gets a few lines in, prints the amount of memory the machine has,
> >     and BEWM.  Low memory page fault.
>
> I saw the same thing myself.  It turns out, though, that I was using
>
> COPTFLAGS= -march=pentium -Os -pipe
>
> to compile my kernel.  When I used the stock opt flags of
>
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
> to compile my kernel, my machine booted OK.  It appears as though some
> changes were put in the tree that are sensitive to optimizations above -O
> -pipe.  My machine never behaved this way before with high optimizations
> until the new changes were put into -current about 1 or 2 days ago.

Well -pipe isn't technically an optimization... But I was using -O2 and
couldn't boot... A kernel with -O will boot. One thing I noticed when
changing the flags was that the modules built along with your kernel don't
use the compiler flags set in my kernel config file. Has anyone considered
addressing this by moving the module objects etc into the kernel build
directory? Seems to me it would make maintaining multiple kernels on a
single machine even easier.

--
          Wesley N Morgan                       _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \