Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:32:10 -0500
From:      "Jean-Paul Natola" <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
To:        "Chuck Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DNS refresh

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Swiger
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 3:06 PM
To: Jean-Paul Natola
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Sorry for the novice question,=20
>=20
> How does one go about refreshing a dns record on BSD box (without
rebooting),
> it is NOT a DNS server.

Most BSD networks do not have dynamic DNS updating enabled on their
nameservers,
but that is the capability you seem to be asking about.  If your network =
does
have this enabled, it's possible that using dhclient to release and =
renew a
DHCP
lease on the BSD machine would be the right approach.

Otherwise, change the zone file on the primary DNS server directly by =
hand.

--=20
-Chuck

Heres the situation=20

I'm in windows environment mainly, I recently setup a BSD box (static =
IP, and
DNS pointing to the windows DNS server)

With Exim, SA  and CLAM_AV

All has been running relatively well (3 months give or take)

Till today I started getting this:

milter# freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Mon Dec 12 15:05:34 2005
WARNING: DNS record is older than 3 hours.
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.

Google gave me=20

http://www.google.com/search?hl=3Den&q=3DDNS+record+is+older+than+3+hours=
&btnG=3DGo
ogle+Search

One tell me that's its ok
There is no reason to be concerned - most likely you have a caching DNS
server at the gateway and this is causing it. DNS query is designed to
minimise load on the datbase server when determining if the database =
version
is uptodate. But if this method fails it would just query the database =
server

The other , leaves me wondering
I get this error when running freshclam: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back =
HTTP mode or ERROR: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net . What does it =
mean?=20

There is a problem with your DNS server. Please check the entries in
/etc/resolv.conf and verify that you can resolve the TXT record =
manually:
$ host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net
If you can't, it means your network is broken. You'll be still able to
download the updates, but you'll waste a lot of bandwidth checking for
updates.