Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:57:44 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard drive errors

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 19:52 -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> Is freebsd any better at handling bad sectors/blocks than it
> was around 2.2.8/3.0?  Just curious, because I remember it not
> handling them too good.

I wouldn't think about it too long.  Today's disks have their
internal remapping without anyone outside noticing.  Once you see
errors outside (i.e. in your OS) internal capacity for recovery
is *exhausted*.  Your disk is damaged beyond acceptable limits
once you start _noticing_ problems!  Take these messages
seriously and swap the device -- unless you don't care about the
data ...

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net