Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:31:58 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to put java libs

> > > and it goes on to say that, if this is under local, the same rules
> > > apply, just that it's locally installed stuff.  Well, the class files,
> > > jar files, zip files, etc, aren't ascii.  The only way to stretch this
> > > is claiming its architecturally independent, but so is tcl (establishing
> > > a precedent for /usr/local/lib, for arch-independent stuff).
> >
> > I think it's a mistake to put things other than libraries in lib,
> > from hier(7):
> >
> >               lib/      archive libraries
> >               libdata/  misc. utility data files
>
> But that's my point.  The java stuff is shared code, unable to execute
> alone, needed to execute by other java programs, exactly like anything
> that depends on a C lib (like libc).

*EVERYTHING* share is 'shared' and requires something to do with it.
What good is a termcap w/out a program to run it?  What about syscons
keymaps?  It needs something to execute it.

Arguing this point is really a waste of time, since hier was never
updated to considered something like non-ASCII shared data.

Nate