Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:43:31 -0600
From:      Denny <denny@kewanee.net>
To:        Crist J Clark <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>, jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        jjc@videotron.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i have a question

Quoting Crist J Clark (cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com):
> Actually, booting from the floppy should be quite easy to do. You
> should get a propmt from the booter and the following help screen,
>
> Usage: bios_drive:interface(unit,partition)kernel_name options
>     bios_drive   0, 1, ...
>     interface    fd, wd or sd
>     unit         0, 1, ...
>     partition    a, c, ...
>     kernel_name  name of kernel, or ? for list of files in root directory
>     options      -a (ask name) -C (cdrom) -c (userconfig) -D (dual consoles)
>                  -d (debug early) -g (gdb) -h (serial console) -P (probe kbd)
>                  -r (default root) -s (single user) -v (verbose)
> Examples:
>     1:sd(0,a)mykernel  boot `mykernel' on the first SCSI drive when one IDE
>                        drive is present
>     1:wd(2,a)          boot from the second (secondary master) IDE drive
>     1:sd(0,a)?         list the files in the root directory on the specified
>                        drive/unit/partition, and set the default bios_drive,
>                        interface, unit and partition
>     -cv                boot with the defaults, then run UserConfig to modify
>                        hardware parameters (c), and print verbose messages (v)
>
> At this point, you can just identify where to boot from. If you're
> booting from a second IDE drive, the second example is probably what
> you want.
>
> I /think/ you should be able to get your boot floppy to load that
> drive by default by modifying the 'boot.config' file on it, but I am
> familiar with the procedure. See 'man 8 boot' for a start on that.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

Bingo,

I've been doing this for about a year now.  I used to have NT on
my first drive (now removed with extreme prejudice.)
If I had to boot to NT, just take out floppy, reboot.
Back to FreeBSD, insert floppy, reboot.  When I get up the ambition,
I'll move my main system over to the first drive.

--
Regards,

Denny Reiter
denny@kewanee.net