Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:18:36 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: [kris@FreeBSD.org: cvs commit: ports/lang/nawk Makefile]

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 04:07:17 +0900 (JST)
Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net> wrote
>   in <20040224.235412.e05ccefc82735f8f.10.0.3.9@bugsgrief.net>:
>
> bugsgrief> Marking BROKEN against this sort of trouble makes the retrieval
> bugsgrief> of the newer ones difficult. Better turn it off ?
>
>  Simply updating the port solves the problem, doesn't it?  I cannot
>  understand what you are trying to say, honestly speaking.  If a distfile
>  that includes no version number in its filename is used, the port
>  should be updated when the distfile is updated.  Or, the maintainer can
>  separately prepare the distfile whose filename includes its version
>  number by himself.  Anyway, I think the problem is not due to the ports
>  infrastructure itself.
>
> --
> | Hiroki SATO

First, ports shouldn't need version number. Remember the fine mechanism that
should retry automatically at checksum failure ? The problem here is that this
mechanism doesn't work. I don't think this is the port infrastructure problem
though, since there -are- ways to make it work, including limited successes (g?)
of using /usr/bin/ftp and recent -SIZE mechanism.

Second, adding custom version number alleviates the pain, but doesn't solve.
Remember the trouble ImageMagick-5.5.7.16 initially caused ? Also, don't
you see occasional help requests apparently having damaged downloaded files ?

Finally, simply updating the port is not easy task. It's not simple, at least.
<Flattery: Port maintainers pours a great deal of time, efforts, and knowledge
unaffordable for us, for me at least, to let the port work./> I just don't
understand why you try to devaluate their efforts down to clerical works of
"simply updating" the port numbers and try to pretend there are no problems.

horio shoichi