Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <stanb@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Help please, I've broken Gnome!

 I decided to upgrade my machine this weekend, and now I have a problem. No
 Gnome related programs will runn. gdm, and gnom-session both crash with
 mssing libraries.

 here is what I did:

 1. CVSUP to latest STABLE
 2. CVSUP latest ports.
 3. wnet to the gnome meta port and tried to build it, no luck.
 4. Supidly decided to try this using packagse :-(
 5, pkg_selet'd lost's of Gnome related packes.
 6. Downlaode _all_ packages in
 ftp.freebsd.or://pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/gnome
 7. di pkg_add many many times, fetching other dependinces as they poped
 up. (why will pkg_add take a maximum of 20 items at a time? why were these
 dependinces not in ~/gnome?)
 8. Now nothig works :-(

 How can I get things working again?

neither liberty nor safety."