Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:14:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED" <vmen3237@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange output from ps

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> Cron Daemon said:
>
> > ps: kvm_getprocs: Cannot allocate memory

  Could be because of too many processes running (either of one user or
total)?
  I've experienced problems with ps, the message was "Too many open files
in system". It was a global limit problem, and I had to recompile the
kernel with increased MAXUSERS value (which increases NPROCS which
increases maxfiles).
  A local limit problem can be solved with ulimit - try to increase the #
of processes - ulimit -u #

			Vlada Mencl