Date:      Sun, 11 May 2008 22:46:24 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        John Daniels <daniels_intrepid@yahoo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0 issues fixed?  upgrade timing?

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:34:47AM +0100, John Daniels wrote:
>   1. I have a realtek network card and am using a cable modem router.
>   Does anyone know if fixes for problems with these (see below) have
>   been backported from HEAD to RELENG_7?

I'd recommend downloading a RELENG_7 bootonly image, or possibly the
livefs image (which will give you utilities and a working read-only
filesystem), and see how your hardware looks on that.  Meaning, if you
have a test scenario which can be easily reproduced and can be done from
livefs, give that a try.

RELENG_7 snapshots (meaning 7.0-STABLE vs. 7.0-RELEASE) are here:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200804

> 2. Is this a good time to upgrade to RELENG_7?

That's entirely up to you.  RELENG_6 will be decomissioned quicker than
RELENG_5 was, from what I've read, so testing compatibility now would be
a good idea.

> 3. I read a post last week that advised that 7.1 is a long way off.
> Appreciate any advice on use of ULE 3.0 and ZFS prior to 7.1 and a
> comment on what is holding up 7.1.

Regarding ULE 3.0, I think you're referring to the ULE that's actually
in RELENG_7 presently, which actually works (compared to the ULE that
was in RELENG_5 and RELENG_6, which had major bugs).  Or are you
referring to an even newer scheduler (something -CURRENT might have)?

ZFS is in a state of... well... my opinion is: use it at your own risk.
The "experimental!" warning is very applicable.  There are known
problems with ZFS when performing lots of I/O between a ZFS pool and a
UFS fs.

> [20080229] Instances of packet corruption and instability have been observed with the re(4) network driver. Some users have reported that using a newer version of this driver (on HEAD) has solved their problems, or at least mitigated them.

I believe this has been fixed, based on commits I've seen to the driver.
Pyun YongHyeon would be able to confirm/deny this.

>   [20080229] A change in the way that FreeBSD sends TCP options has been reported to cause odd interactions with some cable modem routers. While this issue is still under investigation, a change has been committed to HEAD that returns the option processing to that of FreeBSD 6. So far, this change has shown some promising results.

Do you have more details on this?  Open PR, or a thread I can read?  I'm
thinking it might be related to the net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 sysctl, but I'm
not sure.