Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 06:45:48 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.0 Upgrade Problems

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10002191312020.741-100000@ipamzlx.physik.uni-m
ainz.de
>, "O. Hartmann" writes:
> Now I did all things recommended for upgrading ... on my "old 3.4"
> system, I catched all the new sources via cvs. Then I compiled and installed
> config and genassym manually ... rewrtote the kernel configuration definition
> s,
> compiled a kernel and after some problems I got a new kernel ... but not the
> suitable devices in /dev/ (missing /dev/drum etc.). Well, thought this is goi
> ng
> away by make world ... but - shit! Compiler breaks due the lack of a special
> option. I guess it's a new egcs option but the compiler I use is still the
> one from the original 3.4-STABLE distribution (cvsupded last night before
> upgading). Can anybody help? I think it would be nice if anyone of the GURUS
> out of the core team post a file called UPGRADE-STEPS or similar in which the
> explain rudimentary how to do when upgrading from 3.4-STABLE system up to 4.0
> .

Actually, my compiles failed because 4.0's shell and other utilities
use 4.0's new system calls.  The advice I was given was (thanks Ruslan
Ermilov):

0. `uname -r' returns 3.x
1. make buildworld
2. make buildkernel
3. make installkernel
4. reboot with new kernel in signle-user mode
5. make -DNOINFO installworld
6. make buildkernel installkernel (again)
7. make installworld (again, without -DNOINFO)

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
UNIX Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC
                    "COBOL IS A WASTE OF CARDS."