Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:08:01 -0400
From:      William Dudley <wfdudley@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update from 8.4 to 9.3 causes gmirror to disappear -- HELP!

Warren,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the problem was that the partition failed the "check the integrity
of partition metadata".
The symptom was that /dev/mirrors/gm0 existed, but none of the partitions I
had defined on there.

I reverted to 8.4 RELEASE and for now I have my data back.  I will have to
back it up to a non-mirrored
disk and then go through the freebsd-upgrade process again to get to 9.3.
I have temporarily put
kern.geom.part.check_integrity="0"  in my /boot/loader.conf so that I
should have my mirror when i boot into
9.3. Then I need to figure out how to "fix" the partition table (I didn't
know there was anything wrong with it)
so I can turn the integrity check back on.

Man, I hate when my computer scares the crap out of me.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.