Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:16:53 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Development Projects (was:Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux)

John S. Dyson wrote:

> > If we can accomplish _just_ these four things with our code-project
> > resources, plus get a native Oracle 8 port, I think they would give us a
> > big boost in unit installs. Can I announce the solutions next week? ;-)
> >
> I had some internal info about Oracle, and there was probably a
> predispostion a year or so ago to do a FreeBSD port.  However, the
[snip]
> Perhaps taking the position that FreeBSD users are often willing to spend
> money when it is useful for commercial work, and that FreeBSD is a commerce
> friendly OS.  That fact is well known, and large scale and heavily invested
> organizations are relatively common in the FreeBSD world.  The commerce to
> hacker ratio on FreeBSD is quite large...  Hackers don't buy Oracle, but
> commercial users do.  Doing market analysis on a hacker OS, for commercial
> apps can be very, very tricky.

This is going to be a thrust of our marketing, to increase the
perception of FreeBSD as a pro-commercial server OS. It already is for
Apache servers, and Oracle8 is critical in the MIS world. (As is NFS...
we _cannot_ ignore that plea!)

One thing we _will_ be doing is to create a web signup for MIS users who
are willing to state their interest in a native port of XYZ software,
with the understanding that that list _will_ go directly to XYZ's
marketing people and that lying to stuff the box will not be tolerated
inasmuch as it will destroy our credibility.
[snip]
> If you need technical ammo, I can help you.
>
> John

A previous thread talked about developing a solid business proposal to
present to ISV's and hardware vendors. Besides the abovementioned market
data, we will need to have all our bases covered for technical
suitability so we can convince them that their verify phase will have
minimal cost. Can you (and other -hackers with _knowledge_ of the needs)
dissect this issue in a white paper for us?

Oracle is a very important, high-profile catch, and it will be well
worth the effort to nail them down, especilly since they are already
familiar with FreeBSD. Bob will support us with the resources to add
professionalism and flash to our presentation, it's one of the key
targets he mentioned to me.

--
Donald Wilde              "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media