Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:07:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: time_t not to change size on x86

In article <200110271706.f9RH6ga47601@apollo.backplane.com> you write:

[quoting Peter Wemm]

>:But that the idea of it still gives me the creeps.  I believe we'll be
>:chasing bugs from this for years on the i386.

For what it's worth, I agree strongly with Peter.  Perhaps more than
strongly; I think it's absolutely insane to even contemplate changing
time_t on IA-32 over the course of anything less than a decade.  Times
*are* that critical.

>    I think the absolute worst that can happen is that moving time_t to
>    64 bits will have the same sort of impact on ports that moving off_t to
>    64 bits had.

Not so.  You've missed one extremely important issue:

off_t was not passed by reference in any standard interface.  Indeed,
it was a new invention only a few years old.

time_t is passed by reference in all standard interfaces except
mktime().

Furthermore, many other systems had longer-than-long off_t (that's
what the whole Large File Summit thing was about); there are NO other
systems which have longer-than-long time_t.  In those systems, which
actually cared about standards compliance, the *32/*64 and EOVERFLOW
hacks introduced by the LFS were used so that standard-compliant
applications would not break.

-GAWollman