Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:49:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Miten N. Mehta" <mmehta@cs.tamu.edu>
To:        Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DIAMOND STEALTH 64 and Free BSD.

Hi,

>This is almost identical to my setup.  I have a Diamond Stealth 64, 2 MB
>VRAM card with the S3 968 chipset and a ViewSonic 17PS monitor.  You will
>need to use the S3 server if you have a 968 card.  If you have one of the
>newer Virge chipset cards, you will need to use the S3V (or
>something like that) server in XFree86-3.2.  I used xf86config to set
>it up first and then fine tuned it with xvidtune once it was running.

I am almost done with configuring my XFree86 on (for FreeBSD) but I am
facing one problem with this ...

Problem: ......
---------------------------------------

First few pixel columns ( on left most part ) seems to be wrapped around to
right most part - like half scroll bar column on the window which starts
at extreme left can be seen on extreme right of the window. I read the
whole chapter 7 and 8 of FreeBSD book and think that it is probably due
to improper setting of register values, but don't know how to correct
them so that the image on the screen is not wrapped around.

If you know the solution of this problem or if you can tell any pointers
for probable solution, it will be very helpful to me. Or if you can send
me your "XF86Config" file that may also be helpful.

--------------------------------
What I have done so far .....

I learned that my chipset was S3 vers. 968 with 2 MB VRAM with
hori. Sync signal of 31.5 KHz - 96.6 KHz and Vert. Sync Signal 43.5 Hz -
120 Hz ( got information from www.diamondmm.com ). I also came to know
about the monitor that it is ViewSonic 17GS with hori Freq. 30-69 KHz and
vert Freq. 50-160 Hz. So I configured the video part by using
"xf86config" and I am almost done. I was not getting it proper and I
found out that due to less freq. resolution on monitor I was not able to
get 1280*1024 mode and so I configured for 1024*768 ( and put comment for
all other mode lines for modes like 800*600 and 640*480, and had to set
virtual mode to 1024*768, because when it was 1280*1024, I was not
getting whole screen at a time and when I move mouse out of the screen, I
used to get remaining part ) and it is fine ... but still I have got the
problem I told you as above.

The mode line in XF86Config is as following, ...

# 1024x768 @ 76 Hz, 62.5 kHz hsync
modeline "1024x768"     85.00   1024 1028 1148 1360    768  784  787  823

output from of vditune ...
**********************

Num hsync: 1, Num vsync: 1
hsync range 0:  30.00 -  69.00
vsync range 0:  50.00 - 160.00
"1024x768"     85.00   1024 1028 1148 1360    768  784  787  823

------------------------------

Thanks again,

>Cheers,
>Carey

Bye and take care.

Miten.

Miten N. Mehta                                 	Graduate Student
3902, Collegemain, #1001			Computer Science
Bryan, 						Texas A & M University
Texas-77801.					College Station, TX-77843

Tel.#(409)-691-4614                             E-mail# miten@tamu.edu

            Home Page : http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~mnm3866

	"UNTIL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE, KEEP ON WORKING FOR THAT"