Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 00:29:04 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, michael.class@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Subject:   Re: fbsd-current stability / sio-problem

>Teh recent changes in sio.c that add support for some chips called
>16650 make my ppp-access hanging. The problem is that my 16550-chips

The buggy probe was disabled yesterday.

>                i = inb(iobase + com_iir);
>printf(" i: %0x,",i);
>                outb(iobase + com_cfcr, 0xff);
>                outb(iobase + com_iir, 0x0);
>                outb(iobase + com_cfcr, CFCR_8BITS);
>                j = inb(iobase + com_iir);
>printf(" j: %0x,",j);
>The added printfs show 0xC1 for i and j on booting!

On a real 16550, i should be 0xC1 and j should be 0x01.  com_iir here
should probably be called com_fifo.  It's confusing to have several
registers at the same address.  Here the middle outb writes to another
register at com_fifo for 16650s and to the standard com_fifo register
for 16550s.  Writing 0 should turn off the fifo for 16550s only, and
the 0xC0 bits should be off when the fifo is off.

Bruce