Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:14:39 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie packages

Rick Hamell wrote:

>         At this point this almost sounds like it'd be easier to add to
> each port's description.... If the user is going to have to to through the
> trouble of reading each of these that'd be easier. I still think as
> "suggested" list is the better track, heck even both would be a good idea.

But at last count there were 4004 packages! I don't want to get this
document too involved, only a few packages in each area, and just a
couple of comments for them. What I am trying to avoid is spending hours
going through all of the package descriptions during installation.

By now most of us know which ones we use and need, but for the first
time user, particularly if they aren't coming over from the Linux world,
4004 choices to make is VERY intimidating. One friend of mine tried out
SuSE and aborted the installation to take a deep breath. And it only had
about 2000 packages. His first question to me was "which editor should I
install, 'cause there's twelve of them here?"

David