Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:30:31 +0000
From:      Mario Lobo <mario.lobo@ipad.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE ultraDMA problem

Hello to all;

I had a MSI mobo 645 Ultra with 1.5G ram, pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 3 IDE HD, 1
SAMSUNG 80 G, 1 SAMSUNG 120 G,  maxtor 120 G and a LG DVD writer. FreeBSD 6.2
recognized all HDs as ultraDMA 100. Fine.

Then a bought a ASUS p5vd2-x, 1G ram, Gforce 7200 video(pci-e), pentium D 940
Dual core and kept the same drives.  After tuning and recompiling the kernel
a couple times, I got almost everything working great ! SMP, acpi, network,
you name it, EXCEPT ultraDMA.

if I leave:

hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1

FreeBSD reports them (all) at ultraDMA 33. The system boots ok but after 7 or
10 minutes (even if doing nothing), I start geting messages from
g_vfs_xxxx(); WRITE DMAERROR that can come from any of the drives until the
system becomes unstable and ends up rebooting itself.

if I leave:

hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
hw.ata.ata_dma: 0

The HDs get down to PIO 4 and the system works fine but at an incredible
performance cost.

Finacial issues force me to make this work instead of buying more stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions,
   //| //|         Mario Lobo
  // |// |         http://www.ipad.com.br
 //  //  |||||||  FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - 100% Rwindows-free