Date:      Fri, 2 May 2003 00:44:54 +0200
From:      Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA problem with ASUS P4533-E

Hello

I'm experiencing a strange problem with FreeBSD on my ASUS P4S533-E=20
board. The ATA controler (SiS) is not properly recognised when pluged=20
on HD (CD is ok). This prevent the box from booting, it hangs here :

    ad0: READ command timeout tag=3D0 serv=3D0 - resetting
    ata0: resetting devices...

I must use this in order to boot :

    set hw.ata.ata_dma=3D"0"
    set hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D"0"
    boot

(or the same into /boot/loader.conf)

and that put the ATA controler in ATA33 mode. According to this ML=20
archives and Google, this problem seems known for long, and both=20
FreeBSD 4.5, 4.7 and 4.8 Release shows the same behaviour.

Is there any patch out-there ? any trick I could use to put these ATA=20
into 100 or 133 mode ?
I'm really surprised that this issue is not addressed for long...

Pat
--=20
"Rien ne se perd, rien ne se cr=E9e, tout s'empile"
					- Mon bureau -