Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 12:29:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   GCC options for PPro, was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge

Actually, this has brought up something very interesting.  I stated that
compiling your own client was faster for a Pentium Pro, and was
contradicted by Charles Henrich.  Well, it turns out that GCC 2.6.3 from
2.1.6-RELEASE turns out a much faster PentiumPro executable than does
2.7.2 from 2.2 Beta.  I tested this by compiling a static client under
both, then shipping them off to a 2.1.7 based PPro.  I suspect that one of
the options below is the cause of the problem, but why the dramatic
difference? (281Kkeys/sec vs 160Kkeys/sec).  My first guess is that one of
the options wasn't implemented in 2.6.3, but that should give an error.
So maybe one of them is implemented differently.  -O6 changed, but I don't
know about any of the others.

Now, this concerns me just a little, as I'm expecting delivery of my PPro
for my home machine, which is running 2.2, tomorrow.  Does anyone have any
experience at tuning gcc 2.7.2 for PPro CPUs?

Here's a list of what options the rc5 client uses.  Which ones are wrong
for the P6?

OPTS_GCC=\
        -fcaller-saves -fcse-follow-jumps -fcse-skip-blocks \
        -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer \
        -frerun-cse-after-loop -fstrength-reduce -fthread-jumps \
        -funroll-loops -O6 -Wall

Furthermore, which list would this tangent be more appropriate for?