Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:57:51 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dump bug or file system problem ?

Hi,

  I've sent this to -questions (and got no answer), but after reading
the sources of dump, I think it's more a -hackers question.

  I'm right now trying to make a dump of my file system, but it seems
to never end (dumping to /dev/null to make sure it's not a tape
problem):

gaia::jonny [503] dump 0fa /dev/null /usr
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Mar  4 13:57:54 1998
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rsd0f (/usr) to /dev/null
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 1545215 tape blocks.
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: 27.30% done, finished in 0:13
  DUMP: 57.87% done, finished in 0:07
  DUMP: 88.27% done, finished in 0:01
  DUMP: 119.27% done, finished in 0:-3
  DUMP: 148.05% done, finished in 0:-8
  DUMP: 176.90% done, finished in 0:-13
  DUMP: 208.32% done, finished in 0:-18
  DUMP: 240.57% done, finished in 0:-23
  DUMP: 270.01% done, finished in 0:-28
  DUMP: 300.63% done, finished in 0:-33
  DUMP: 332.25% done, finished in 0:-38
  DUMP: 363.33% done, finished in 0:-43
  DUMP: 393.50% done, finished in 0:-48
  DUMP: 418.82% done, finished in 0:-53
  DUMP: 445.49% done, finished in 0:-58
  DUMP: 473.04% done, finished in -1:-3
  DUMP: 502.15% done, finished in -1:-8
  DUMP: 530.49% done, finished in -1:-13
  DUMP: 558.39% done, finished in -1:-17
  (and continues...)

  The first think I thought was a problem with integer length in dump,
but I've never had this before and could not find a problem like that
in dump sources.  It seems to be able to handle file systems with 2^41
bytes, and that is definitely not my case.  And not all of them beeing
directories.

  Other possibility is a file system problem.  I've had problems with
it in the last weeks, with panic "freeing a free frag" or something
like that.  At this time, fsck finds no error, though.

  I would love any hint that could help me solving this problem.  This
is what df reports on this file system:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on
/dev/sd0f     1822017  1486754   189502    89%   70480  374958    16%   /usr

  Thanks in advance,

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br