Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 21:13:06 -0500
From:      "Carroll Kong" <me@carrollkong.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:  3Ware Error Messages

	Oh geez, I feel silly responding to myself, but, I found the message earlier up from the dmesg output.

twe0: AEN: <twe0: incomplete unit for unknown unit 1>
twe0: AEN: <twe0: degraded mirror for unknown unit 1>

	Now the issue, is this ordinal or cardinal?  (starting from 0 or starting from 1?)  Basically does unit 1 mean the 1st one, or the 2nd one?  Looking at the driver code it seems like it means the "2nd" one, but
hey better safe than sorry.

> 	Hey there, running 4.5-RELEASE-p3 with an SMP kernel, and I cannot believe I did not see this message before.
>
> twed0: <RAID5, Degraded> on twe0
> twed0: 229033MB (469060608 sectors)
> twe0: command interrupt
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/twed0s1a
> twe0: AEN: <unknown AEN 0x221>
> twe0: AEN: <unknown AEN 0x321>
>
> 	Oh boy, I cannot believe I did not realize this, but the array has been degraded the whole time!  Since I am not running STABLE, I do not have ata-control.  Is there a way I can find out which drive is bad short
> of power cycling and taking a look at it?  Do those error messages tell me which drive is down?  Surprisingly, the performance has been quite excellent for a "degraded" system.  I wonder if it is just a dodgy
> interconnect to the IDE backplane.  (Pretty sure we ran into that issue when we were testing here before deploying it.  Yes, it is as a colocation facility so I cannot just out right look at it easily.  )  Is there a way to nab
> the status of it short of power cycling it?
> 	Maybe I should cvsup to get ata-control...
>
> -Carroll Kong

-Carroll Kong