Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 02:41:32 -0500
From:      Allen Cleveland <allenc@mindsieve.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: single user mode?

At 10:26 PM 1/10/00 -0800, R Joseph Wright wrote:

>> If by rescue floppies you mean the images I have in the /floppies directory
>> of the cd I burned, then yes. However, after doing so ( and making a fixit
>> floppy ) 'mount' shows information about the floppy, but gives me 'command
>> not found' otherwise ( ie: with args ). Typing '/sbin/mount /dev/da0s1a
>> /mnt' gives me 'mount: command not found' .
>>
>> I could install fresh from the iso I burned, but I'd rather leave that as a
>> last resort. Any other ideas?
>
>Hmmm...I've done this before.  I'm sure it was /sbin/mount that worked
>for me.  However, you may need to pass an argument such as "/sbin/mount
>-t ufs /dev/da0s1a /mnt".

Booting with floppies (boot -s), then going to the fixit disk:

Fixit# /sbin/mount -t ufs /dev/da0s1a /mnt
/sbin/mount: not found

Fixit# mount -t ufs /dev/da0s1a /mnt
usage: mount [-dfpruvw] [-o options] [-t ufs | external_type] special node
       mount [-adfpruvw] [-t ufs | external_type]
       mount [-dfpruvw] special | node

This time I'm looking at the screen, and not relying on my memory for the
above. When fixit starts I get a short info screen with the following:

"
You might want to symlink /mnt/etc/*pwd.db and /mnt/etc/group
to /etc after mounting a root filesystem from your disk.
tar(1) will not restore all permissions correctly otherwise!

Note: you might use the arrow keys to browse throught the
command history of this shell.
"

This leads me to two thoughts:
1. mount could work if I had a man page handy (yes, I'm looking for online
man pages now...  url, anyone?)
2. I wonder where the command history went (arrows give me bells untill I
have typed in at least one command) ?

--
Allen Cleveland                 allenc@mindsieve.com
There is no try. Do, or do not do, but no try. -Yoda