Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:47:15 +0300
From:      Valery Zamarayev <qd@H8-gate.kiuca.kiev.ua>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
Subject:   PnP ISA and PCI ed unit numbering

Hi, FreeBSD'ers !

I encountered some kind of problem.  I have a FreeBSD based router
between four 10MB/s Ethernet segments.  (3.3-RELEASE) The box has
3 PCI NE2000 NIC's and an ISA PnP NIC NE2000.

While they work OK on separately, I cannot make them work together

In kernel configuration I have:

controller pnp0 device     ed?

and the settings in /boot/kernel.conf to make PnP stuff work.

PCI card are detected first as ed0, ed1, ed2 and then ISA PnP card
is detected as ... ed0

I assume that PCI and PnP detection code assigns code starting from
0 or 1 or whatever it is in kernel config and does not check if
such unit already exists for such device.

I saw on archies that Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net> has already
had such a problem, but he was only advised to change his NIC. (I
feel I'll eventually do the same :)

Now my question is: Can I make kernel assign unit numbers for
devices my way ?

I believe it is easy to hack PnP code to assign unit numbers for
devices it finds, starting from some number, e.g. 4, and it would
solve the problem.  I didn't succeed in digging kernel source for
it since I am neither kernel nor unix expert at all.

Please, help those who know how to do it.

-- Valery Zamarayev