Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:40:27 +1100
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        "J.S." <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Personal hierarchy =?iso-8859-1?B?LS2g?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?Are?= there any standards?

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 12:08:11PM +0100, J.S. wrote:
> I keep re-organizing my files and directories continuously, and I never
> feel satisfied with the way I structure them. I was hoping something
> easy, abbreviated and well-organized, like the FreeBSD hierarchy, would
> help me feel better about my personal stash.
>
> Or perhaps someone could show me how they have it?

You are free to lay out your home directory however you like, in
collaboration with those applications you're using that expect
certain things in certain places (like, say, a .muttrc, or a
kde ~/Desktop/ - and yes I know all these things are configurable)

There are no standards. There is the default skeleton which is not
much in terms of a live-and-kicking home directory. Personally I
have a basic structure that is repeated across almost all logins
across several platforms, which then varies locally.

archive/	large downloads, snapshots, tarballs etc
		 my personal "aladdins cave" of, well, stuff.
bin/		personal executables
doc/		documents downloaded or produced
Mail/		maildirs and mboxes
man/		personal manual pages
src/		untarred/CVS'd source code directories
tmp/		scratchpad directory
web/<hostname>/	public content for http delivery
web/logs/	log area for the above
projects/	content-organized subdirectories for personal or
		 professional projects.

Under these I structure hierarchically using whatever seems most
appropriate at the time, so that obviously related objects are in
subdirectories together. I have found this sufficient organisation
without getting too bogged down in filing.

Generally the correct filename and location for an object are
immediately apparent to me in this system.  Larger objects, e.g.
CVS repositories get their own slice and a symlink from my home
directory.

I get particular pleasure from browsing through older stuff in
archive/ and picking up strands of thought from way back.

I suspect this stuff is very personal and that my layout is not
likely to suit others. But you did ask ;)

Joshua