Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 10:36:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Multi-port SIO behaviour

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:

> It depends.  In this case the problem seems to be that some ports
> inherit pending interrupts from before the crash.  This stops shared
> interrupts from working until all the other ports sharing an interrupt
> have been probed.  This explains why the last port on each of your
> boards is probed successfully.  The second last port is probed
> successfully iff the last port doesn't have a pending interrupt...
>
> If this is the problem, then each board is left in a weird state until
> after all probes and attaches on it have completed.  Then its state
> becomes OK.

What would happend if I setup the system like this:

sio4: at 0x1b8-0x1bf flags 0x781 irq 7 (master)
sio5: at 0x1b0-0x1b7 flags 0x781
 .
sio7: at 0x1a0-0x1a7 flags 0x781

This way the master port would be initialized first and the remaining
ports would come into line?

Does the included diff stand on its own or does it need changes to other
files?

Thanks for all the help!

Andrew Webster  - captain@pubnix.net - http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-990-5911   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3