Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:50:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI Driver Open/Close Routines

Hi there...

We observe that in scsi/scsiconf.h the scsi_adapter definition for the
(entry points) open /close do not take any arguments, unless the bus is
PC98.

In the case of PC98, open takes a scsi_link as an argument, but still no
argument for close.

What we need is two things:

1.  We need to be able to open the individual controller, and close it.
    We need to maintain control over the exact state of each controller,
    Is it open, closed, etc.  This control extends to IF and when a SCSI
    bus or device are reset and other such details.  Part of this need is
    to be able to communicate with the controller via several methods.
    Things we need to do are RAID setup, firmware configuration, SNMP and
    others.  The mechanism we see today in FreeBSD does not seem to allow
    it in the scsi_adapter entry points.  Can someone help us understand it?

2.  We need to be able to precisely control the access to every device on
    any SCSI bus on any HBA.  This includes allowing/barring access, putting
    devices in R/O or R/W mode, resetting and blocking resets.  The entry
    points in scsi_device allow that.  We also understand from having
    scsi_device defined for an adapter that the adapter can appear as a
    device.  Question:  What will this device be in /dev?  Major, minor,
    naming convention, etc.

..but;  For both scsi_adapter and scsi_device, in the drivers code we saw,
there is a single, scalar declaration of scsi_adapter and scsi_device.
We would like to be able to turn these into arrays (logically).  So each
HBA is its own scsi_adapter and each HBA is its own scsi_device, with the
associated /dev/ entries, as above.

thanx for any (polite :-) reply...

Simon