Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:47:00 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Eugene Kazarinov" <kamuzon@milshop.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.3/amd64: ng_ipacct "Depends on kernel" ?? why? when?

--nextPart8176800.9yEyAgOFkh

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > So, If I dont want to get error response "kernel: kldload:
> > /boot/modules/ng_ipacct.ko: Unsupported file type" in
> > /var/log/messages then I could remove /boot/modules/ng_ipacct.ko
> > and /boot/modules/linker.hints
> > last one containes:
>
> I think the 'Unsupported file type' *warning* is due to an odd issue
> with amd64 kernel module support, it is harmless (although annoying).

To clarify here..
There are 2 bits of code in the kernel for loading modules - they get=20
run in a certain (compiler/linker specific) order. It used to be they=20
were run one way but now it is the other way around. These bits of code=20
print warnings if the object format is wrong.

So, one gets run on the module you want to load & fails (and prints the=20
message you see). The next one is run and it understands that file type=20
so loads it.

If it was a bogus module that neither understood then the kldload would=20
return an error.

I believe a work around was applied recently so this is not so much of a=20
problem any more.
=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum