Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:06:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

> Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
>> First off, Good Year to anyone.
>>
>> I'd like to share my thoughts on the FreeBSD binary java distribution
>> and the FreeBSD Foundation issue.
>>
>> I pretty much acklowledge the efforts of the FBSDF, as well as
>> that the diablo jdk13 is the only one achievement of the FBSDF, at least
>> as it presented
>> in their site. Also ,the funding of Alexey's work was essential
>> in the viability of the jdk14 port.
>>
>> However, as another person said, freebsd users
>> only use the port and not the binary.
>> And taking into account the many areas of need in the rest of
>> the system in its current status (5-STABLE, CURRENT),
>> i think it would make sense to save the money that was supposed
>> to go to SUN, for funding development of other areas in the system.
>>
>> Most users are quite happy with jdk14 i suppose.
>
> Although I am one of those users happily using the jdk14 port, I can't
> say that I find the situation satisfying. When I am trying to pitch a
> Java solution on FreeBSD to a customer I have to ask them to have the
> jdk preinstalled for me, since I can't legally redistribute it. Clients
> who don't have an existing FreeBSD installation or don't care about the
> solution's underlying OS (which is why they usually pick Java in the
> first place), wonder why on earth they should not go with Linux instead.
>
> For developer's like myself the port is fine. For managers (either
> selling or bying products) it is a nightmare. Personally, I consider
> Alexey's financial support and the binary distribution license as the
> most important thing that the FreeBSD Foundation has ever done for the
> future of the community.

I have to agree with Achilleus on all his points.

The company I work for was making a similar decision a couple of years ago
and not having a binary distribution of Java took FreeBSD right out of the
running.

Management takes the stance that if they can't get a binary for production
use then the product is not sufficiently supported.

So, I run SUN systems at work now.