Date:      25 Sep 2006 00:31:52 +0200
From:      Dmitry Karasik <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0 weak connectivity

 Sam> I've lost context about your problem but it appears you're having
 Sam> trouble associating with "trejago" sometimes.  The failed scan shows
 Sam> that your rssi was only 6 when you were having problems which is a
 Sam> very marginal signal so I'm not at all surprised you're having
 Sam> trouble.  You've got strong signal ap's on overlapping channels (5
 Sam> and 7) which are likely drowning the signal on your ap.  I don't see
 Sam> anything the driver could do differently; this seems more an issue of
 Sam> your environment being very busy.  I vaguely recall you were
 Sam> comparing the operation of the freebsd to windows.  If so then

I also thought of the environment issue, but it seems to me that the
problem might still be elsewhere. Initially I encountered problems when
I set up AP to transmit at 12% of full power, so logically I assumed
that this must be not enough, and turned the AP signal up to 25, 50, and
finally to 100%. What's interesting is that even on 100%, SNR wasn't really
different from when it was 12%, and again ath0 didn't associate.

This is doubly strange because the neighbor APs are located behind 2-3
solid brick walls, and still their SNR is 5 times higher than from my AP
which is just nearby. Even when distance to AP is <1m, SNR is still
comparable. Of course, I cannot control their AP signal strength, but I'd
be interested to measure the signal strength from my and their APs
independently, I guess there should be some regulations about max signal
power...

Also, I tried another channel, switching to channel 13 - did not help at all.

 Sam> freebsd does not support XR mode.

Are there plans for implementing XR mode for ath?

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry Karasik