Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:48:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
To:        "Jason T. Luttgens" <lucky@lansters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Network performance question

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Jason T. Luttgens wrote:

> To: 'Karsten W. Rohrbach' <karsten@rohrbach.de>,
>      'Mike Smith' <msmith@freebsd.org>
> Cc: 'Doug Hardie' <bc979@lafn.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org,
>      'David W. Chapman Jr.' <dwcjr@inethouston.net>

Please trim your cc list; I'd hazard that all people on their responded
to you because they are on -stable to start with.

> Some of my testing at work revealed a strange thing. The 3COM card in a
> computer I have at work typically received 407-409 packets from another
> computer transmitting (a Sony VAIO laptop with builtin Intel Etherexpress
> Pro 10/100 card), then stopped seeing packets for some random number
> (usually less than 2000), receive 407-409 packets again, and repeat the
> cycle. Anyone know what that might mean?

There is a known issue with the 3Com 3C905TX that causes a "problem"
(dunno what the problem is) if the receive buffer fills beyond a certain
percentage. I haven't looked at the xl driver, but it might be that
you're hitting the bug and a watchdog timer unwedges the board (I seem
to remember BSD/OS artificially limits the receive buffer *and* unwedges
the card, but it's been years since I last went on a bughunt in that
driver, before I switched to Intel 10/100 Pro B's).

Cheers,

				-- Bert

--
Bert Driehuis -- driehuis@playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!