Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:14:27 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   em, bge, network problems survey.

All,

I'm seeing some patterns here with all of the network driver problem
reports, but I need more information to help narrow it down further.
I ask all of you who are having problems to take a minute to fill
out this survey and return it to Kris Kennaway (on cc:) and myself.
Thanks.

1. Are you experiencing network hangs and/or "timeout" messages on the
console?  If yes, please provide a _brief_ description of the problem.

2. What version of FreeBSD is experiencing this problem?  When did the
problem start?

3. What network card is experiencing the problem?  If there is more than
one network card/port in the system, please state which ones are having
problems.  Optionally, describe the model of the network card, or attach
a dmesg output that shows it.

4. Is this an SMP or UP machine?  Is your kernel configured for SMP?

5. Is this machine capable of Hyperthreading (note that this is not the
same as multi-core, like the newer AMD and Intel chips)?  If so, is
Hyperthreading enabled or disabled in the BIOS?  If it is enabled, is
hyperthreading enabled or disabled in the kernel?

6. Is the 'apic' device configured in your kernel?  If so, does it
appear to be active in the system?  An easy way to tell this is if
there are interrupt numbers greater than 15.  Another way to tell is
if there are 'ioapic' device messages early in the boot.

7. Are you using any code patches or non-default configuration options?

8. Are you using the 4BSD or the ULE scheduler?

You are also welcome to attach a copy of your 'dmesg' output as well as
the output from 'vmstat -i'.  Please note that a verbose dmesg is not
needed.

I appreciate everyone's help here.  Kris and I may not be able to
respond to every survey entry on this, but your input is still very
valuable and appreciated.  Thanks!

Scott