Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 2020 15:08:01 +0200
From:      Denis Salopek <denissal@freebsd.org>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   [GSoC '20] NetFPGA SUME reference NIC device driver

Hello everyone!

Project wiki:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2020Projects/NetFPGA_SUME_Driver

After spending some time in the reviewing process and fixing a couple of
hidden
bugs, I am happy to report that the driver has been merged in FreeBSD
(commit
https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS364973 ).

While programming the driver and trying out the SUME board with both
available
SUME NIC designs (reference NIC and NICv2), I was met with various
unexpected
hardware issues which proved to be difficult to address. To alleviate the
problems arising from these issues, the NetFPGA reference NIC driver I've
developed with the help from my mentors now includes some additional
features,
not available in the original Linux version:
 - more balanced TCP throughput,
 - link state detection / reporting,
 - access to hardware counters via sysctl,
 - watchdog function to reset the HW if it gets stuck in TX state.

I plan to further develop for FreeBSD - I have already started working on
the
improved NetFPGA SUME NICv2 design and the current project really helped me
better understand reading and writing kernel code.

Thank you for the chance to participate in this project. This experience was
valuable as I have learned something new and further developed my skills
which
would be difficult for me without this project. Special thanks to my
mentors
Bjoern A. Zeeb and Marko Zec who provided a critical role in this project
with
their excellent feedback and contributions.

Best regards,
Denis Salopek