Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:40:22 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        manish jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com>
Cc:        rsmith@xs4all.nl, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need sample xorg.conf for Intel Q35 Express chipset

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:57:21 +0530, manish jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't find anything
> like the xf86cfg/xf86config tools for configuring X that used to come with
> FreeBSD earlier.

They do not longer exist. The X command (to start X) has
the option -configure; it creates xorg.conf.new in the
current directory. This file can be the basis of further
customizing.

Keep in mind that - with modern hardware - you usually
don't need xorg.conf anymore.

> Can somebody please send me a
> sample xorg.conf for Intel Q35 Express chipset (384 MB video RAM) and a PNP
> Dell LCD monitor which is happiest @ (1440X900 resolution/ 32-bit colour /
> 60 Hz refresh) in Windows ? The keyboard and mouse are standard USB.

Just run "X -configure" and you should have one. :-)

> I assume the default file location remains unchanged : /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It's one of the valid locations, so: yes.

For a better explaination than mine, refer to the excellent
documentation in the FreeBSD handbook, ch. 5.4, to be found
here:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-config.html

--
Polytropon