Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:41:58 +1000
From:      David Cecil <david.cecil@nokia.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   File remove problem

Hi,

I've been looking into a problem we're seeing on FreeBSD 6.1, though I
believe the bug will exist in current, or at least 7.0.

Under certain circumstances, when a file is removed from the filesystem,
and the filesystem is remounted read-only immediately afterwards, an
error such as the following is displayed:
g_vfs_done():mirror/gmroots1f[WRITE(offset=1349058560,
length=16384)]error = 1

I have determined that the buffer contains an update to the inode for
the file that's deleted.  The inode for the directory change appears to
be updated correctly.  So what's not making it to disk is the updated
file inode with its changed link counts (should now be zero).  So,
somehow this inode is being missed during the sync prior to the remount
completing.

I'm still looking through the code to find the problem, but any insights
from those more familiar with the code would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave