Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:07:11 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Solutions Cookbook (proposal)

Alan Weber wrote:

> I have a suggestion for a new kind of document that would parallel the
> Handbook and FAQ. I am suggesting that a "COOKBOOK" be created with
> "RECIPES" for common FreeBSD applications. I am listing below some of the
> types of recipes that I am thinking of:

Alan, this is an excellent idea, and Bob Bruce and I talked extensively
about this kind of thing over the last couple of days. We'd actually
like to take it a step further and package such optional auto-configs on
the CD set. It would be a really good idea to parallel that with a
hardcopy cookbook that goes into real detail about the why's and
wherefore's of doing it and what the 'gotchas' are.

Let me also put out on this list that Bob said efforts like this are
important enough to him that he's willing to pay competent people to
both write the config scripts and the documentation. Please write
directly to him (rab@cdrom.com) if you want to explore this option
seriously, he wants to get going.

What we talked about for the CD set is that there will be two new forks
in sysinstall: first, there will be an even easier path through the
first part that makes all the installation choices up to the "Congrats!
You now have..." page. Then, after that, there will be a checkoff menu
of these pre-configured installs, from desktops to game server, that you
can choose or not. If you choose none, of course, you also have the
existing 'pick your packages' menu tree.

Such a configuration will vastly improve our marketability to both the
suits and the newbies, without reducing its appeal to techies and
SysAdmins.
--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media