Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: K5 clock speeds (Was: Re: K6-200 Has anyone ...)

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Jay D. Nelson wrote:

> Thanks for the info. What you are suggesting is that the clock is the
> only thing that counts and moving the jumper to x2.5 is all that's
> necessary -- regardless of the bios. Why would ASUS issue a bios
> upgrade to support 150-166Mhz K5s? (Marketing?)
>
> -- Jay

I haven't seen the ASUS Bios bootup screen, but the K5-PR150 and K5-PR166
were supposed to be 60x1.75 and 66x1.75 respectively on the K5.  The K5
was supposed to be an exact Pentium clone (even down to the clock
multiplier and bus frequency so you can set the speed equal to its PR #).
For example, the K5-PR133 can be jumpered at 66x1.5 (actual clock) or
66x2.0 (PR-clock).  Either way, it will run at 100MHz.  You can verify
this with FreeBSD -- It will say 100MHz clock even with 66x2.  Newer
Award BIOSes will show the PR # under what used to be the clock frequency
for the AMD K5 and Cyrix 6x86.