Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 1996 01:42:39 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Policy on -stable

>	This is a mail regarding the core-team policy on stable which might be
>of general intrest. From the mails over recent days, it is obvious that the
>current situation with -stable is greatly broken and is redunt to be
>continued. But as there has been no clear enough announcement from the
>core team on the future of -stable (sorry if it's just me), let me ask:
>
>1) Shall there be 2 releases based on -stable, like planned before (that
>   is - 2.1.1-RELEASE and 2.1.5-RELEASE) or just one.

   We only planned on one more release from that branch: 2.1.5. We once
thought of calling it 2.1.1, but there are too many changes to call it this
and people wouldn't appreciate the significance of the release.

>2) Shall an attempt be made to find resources (and a full-timer) to keep
>   -stable (mean a non-active attempt from the part of the core-team
>   rather than going out and trying to find the money).

   That would be nice, but finding that person is going to be very difficult.
Finding a person who sends me email for every kernel patch, asking if it should
be included, is NOT what we need - this would consume more time than if I just
did it myself.

>3) If -stable is dropped (as it seems to be more then possible on the
>   moment) what will be the future policy on -stable-like things? Shall
>   there be a -stable branch for some time before the release to which only
>   bug-fixes will be applied? Shall there be a post-relese -stable-like
>   bug-fix branch?

   It's clear that the concept of a -stable is important to a large number of
people. We'll have to find some way to achieve the same end in an easier to
manage fashion. We don't have a solution to this yet.

-DG

David Greenman