Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:36:44 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems creating and writing to disk slices

phk@phk.freebsd.dk wrote:
> In message <200302172230.h1HMU7o8046220@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Joerg Wunsch writes:
>
>>Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org> wrote:
>>

>>>The above practices have worked fine for a long time in 4.x and still do
>>>even in 4.7p4, which is on this same machine.
>>
>>Get Matthew N. Dodd's patch at:
>>
>>ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/patches/geom-foot.patch
>>
>>(Hint: sysctl kern.geom.allow_foot_shooting=1)
>>
>>Then help me convincing phk that there might be legitimate needs
>>for such an option. :-/

I can understand the usefulness of preventing modifications applying to
mounted partitions, and I can see the logic in unliaterally preventing
them, but preventing modifying slice table and disk label entries for
unmounted portions of the disk gets more in the way than helps.

Does this safety measure prevent slicing and labeling a completely empty
disk or just those with the boot partition or mounted filesystems on them?

> You're out of date, one such has been committed to current.

Is the patch appropriate for RELENG_5_0, though?