Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:48:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

> This is still the point that I'm trying to find out...what is it that we
> are trying to "do a good job at"?  If I liked/wanted Linux, I'd

The server.  The server the server the server.  Have I made the
point clearly enough?  :-)

Our slogan is also "the power to serve", and while I think that
doesn't exactly substitute for a mission statement, it does give a
fairly reasonable indication of where we're headed and what we think
our primary strengths are.

> ...by and far, the *hardest* ones to convert over at the ones that see
> Linux and the fact that Gaming companies are starting to do some serious
> games for Linux...us, we have a very good Linux emulation, but, like

Gaming users are not our focus and never will be.  To be honest, I
also think the Linux games (and perhaps the entire multimedia) market
is a flash in the pan.  If I want to play games, I turn to a Windows
box and that's a trend which is only going to increase as the gaming
public gets jaded with everything that's hot now and demands ever more
fancy 3D, audio and game controller hardware.  I stated earlier that
if I wanted a multimedia desktop, I'd run Linux.  If I want a game
machine, however, I'd run Windows.  I can't GET any of the decent
games for Linux and if you look very closely at that market, you'll
see it's 90% comprised of folks porting old, clapped-out games for
which the manufacturers no longer see any significant value.  In other
words, it's sort of the elephant's graveyard for gaming.

> Look at Solaris...Sun just recently announced they were going to start
> working on Linux emulation also...nothing about xBSD, only Linux...where
> are failing (if we are failing?) as far as users are concerned?

Why would they want to do BSD emulation?  Where are all the BSD apps
that Solaris users want to run?  I think you're rather missing the
point here as far as how things are driven in this industry.

> I'm not afraid to *pay* for something, but how do we convince the
> companies out there developing software that there are ppl willing to pay
> for the software?

By being willing to pay for it, plain and simple. So far, those few
companies who've dived into the FreeBSD multimedia market have gotten
burned by very poor sales and that's the "convincing" that needed to
happen but didn't.  I'm hoping that Applixware for FreeBSD sells a few
copies, of course, but I don't expect it to be anything close to
what's sold for Linux.  It's more of a checkbox item so that we're not
totally without an office suite (those loads-of-xterms X users do also
occasionally need to format and print things in fancy ways).

Now given all of that, we have two choices: We can sit and sulk about
the state of the FreeBSD desktop market (been there, done that) or we
can realize that maybe our strengths lie elsewhere and we need to
focus on our strenghts (doing that too :).

Frankly, I think their Unix on the desktop strategy is fundamentally a
losing one anyway and that the Linux folks are chasing a brass ring
that's only receding ever more rapidly into the distance.  Sure, it
gets them lots of users in the short term since the great percentage
of people run desktop machines, but it also leaves them increasingly
vulnerable to a Microsoft which is very very strong on the desktop and
has shown itself to take an exceeding dim view of competition.  I see
more "standards" like DirectX and DirectAudio progressively pushing
Linux out of what little niche it has on the desktop, at which time
many of those casting the Linux protest vote will either switch back
to Windows again or find a stronger protest vote in desktop-oriented
OSes like BeOS.  Be's desktop is pretty slick, albeit very early
technology, and if I had to run a non-microsoft commercial desktop
environment then that would probably be it.

- Jordan