Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:49:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joseph Thomas <jpt@networkcs.com>
To:        ggm@dstc.edu.au (George Michaelson)
Cc:        mike@ARL.MIL, jin@george.lbl.gov, atm@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FORE PCA200 working

[snip]
> If its not too silly a question to ask:
>
> 	WHY is the fore NIC and the hfa/ driver code so picky about which
> 	rev of microcode is used?
>
> cheers
> 	-George
>
> --
> George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
> Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072
> Phone: +61 7 3365 4310    |  Australia
>   Fax: +61 7 3365 4311    |  http://www.dstc.edu.au

George, et. al.,

	It has "something" to do with interrupts being posted to the PCI
bus though we, and FORE, were never able to determine exactly why that is.
When we first identified this problem, FORE spent quite some time generating
new microcode for us to test with. Some work, some didn't, and FORE was
never able to determine what we different (other then some debugging printf's)
between the various works and doesn't work. Sounds like maybe its time to see
if we can wrestle some time away from our funded projects and revisit that
issue -- if nothing else, maybe we can update the list of working microcodes.

--
Joseph Thomas                           E/Mail:  jpt@networkcs.com
Network Computing Services, Inc.    	 	 jpt@magic.net

	An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.