Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:36:50 -0600
From:      "Phillips, Paul" <paulp@mail.smu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Netra T1 105 and two ethernet ports

Hello  -

I am quite new to FreeBSD, but not a complete newbie to the unix world.

I have a Netra T1 105 with two ethernet ports.  It is running FreeBSD =
5.2 beta. =20

I want to have each ethernet port with its own IP address, but both =
addresses will be on the same subnet.

I can't make it work, so I have been reading various archives, trying to =
figure out what was going on.

After noticing that both ports had the same MAC address, and doing some =
archive reading, I found that I can easily change the second port to =
another Mac address by doing this:

ifconfig hme1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:6

I can confirm that this change in MAC address has taken place by =
ifconfig with no arguments.

However, when I next type:
ifconfig hme1 inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

then I get this message:
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

I don't know what this means, or how to change it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Paul