Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:26:16 -0500
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@ridecharge.com>
To:        Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail: "exposed" root, why?

Jerahmy Pocott wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  From the sendmail documentation:
>
> "There are always users that need to be "exposed" -- that is,
> their  internal site name should be displayed instead of the
> masquerade name. Root is an example (which has been
> "exposed" by default prior to 8.10)."
>
> Is there actually any reason why root needs to be "exposed"?
>
> Root is set to an external address in aliases and it really
> needs to be masqueraded in order to for it to get delivered,
> but would that cause problems with anything?
>
> How do you stop sendmail from doing this, I don't see any
> directive to NOT expose root, only options to expose other
> addresses as well.. Perhaps there is a better way to send
> system mailed logs to an external address that doesn't send
> them from root?
>
> Thanks for any info!
There is no directive, but you can edit the resultant .cf file
and remove the line
C{E}root
or root from that line if more than one user.

Be warned, you _will_ break /etc/crontab and periodic scripts mail delivery.

The reason it needs to be exposed is probably these scripts because
other wise the from address for daily security scripts will be
root@<masquerade> rather than root@machine.domain.  Now, it so happens
that most of these e-mails have the machine name in the subject or what not.

Philip M. Gollucci (philip@ridecharge.com)
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.