Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:19:09 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        "Ardie H. Hwang" <lists@ardiefox.me>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it a discouraged behavior to limit port's target OS version?

> On 12 Feb 2016, at 09:16, Ardie H. Hwang <lists@ardiefox.me> wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
> I need an advice or two regarding the problem I met.
>=20
> I am preparing a submission of new port, which depends on <iconv.h>: `data=
bases/mariadb-connector-c`.
> Everything went okay, until Poudriere test in 9.3-RELEASE jail reported bu=
ild failure. Apparently <iconv.h> has been added to base system since 10.0-R=
ELEASE.
>=20
> The question is: this limiting OS version for this port, is this a discour=
aged idea? The method I am thinking is to display error if OS version is les=
s than 10.x, upon checking OSVERSION makevar in Makefile. But this will disc=
riminate against fellow 9.x users.
> I have another solution of adding `converters/iconv` (libiconv.so) as this=
 port's library dependency. However, I am worried that doing this might caus=
e problem on 10.x versions.
>=20
> Can someone tell me what to do regarding this <iconv.h> on 9.x?

Please see:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-iconv.html

- michael