Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:07:50 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Didier Derny" <didier@omnix.net>, "Martin Cracauer" <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

>in 1999 (3.x) I was not so sure at all, no stability too many problems.

Well, I've been running 3.x since upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3.1 early last
year, and I haven't had a single crash to date...

>In 2000 it's getting worse, for me FreeBSD is not stable at all
>the future of FreeBSD is not so clear, version follow after version but

It's called progress. BTW, Microsoft also releases version after version,
they just don't tell anybody about it until they get to the point where they
charge you $100 for it.

>I still have no support for my sound board, realplayer, oracle...

Yes, this is sad. But since FreeBSD is a volunteer effort, it's going to be
impossible to support *everything*, especially for items that are
proprietory and have to be reverse-engineered.

Of course, *you* could help out and write that driver too...

>The clients are telling me to install Linux instead of FreeBSD (for
>oracle)...

I hear a FreeBSD-native version of Oracle is in the works...

>I've just finished uprading the machines to 3.4-release and you are
>telling me that there is no future for 3.X...

Well, 3.4's been out for 3 months already. If you'd installed it earlier,
you would have gotten your money's worth out of it. BTW, there will be a 3.5
before we're all urged to move to 4.1...

>I'm about to buy a smp machine but I see so many horror stories on
>the mailling lists that I'm not sure at all that I should use a smp
>machine (or install linux instead of FreeBSD)...

Ah, the beauty of mailing lists. Remember, for every complaint, there's
50-100 people that are having no problems at all, and thus have no reason to
complain to the list.

>one of our client is running a smp machine with 3.2-BETA without any
>probleme...
>
>another client is running 3.4-RELEASE and his machine is rebooting on
>heavy load...

This is most likely a hardware problem.

And why are these people not running -STABLE? Are they still using Windows
3.0 too?

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor