Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:45:24 -0800
From:      Ryan Dooley <ryan@third-man.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommendations on the newfs of a 1.0TB fs...

> I'd consider fixing the situation thats causing it to need fscked before
> doing
> anything else!

Heh.. yeah.  Normally my box doesn't crash.  The last time the box was
down for any thing other than a maintaince window was over a year ago.  I'd
say the box was rock solid :-)

> Sounds like you have enough users to have a pretty good idea of the average
> bytes per file.  Use -i to specify that when you newfs.  Don't overdo it!
> It's
> pretty frustrating to have 400G left on the drive an no inodes left to
> create
> any new files, but if you've got 50% of the space full and only 20% of the
> inodes,
> you can definately adjust this some.

I'm wondering what values I might try for -i that might be reasonable.

> There's also -g and -h options.  I'm not sure what effect these have,
> however.

Yeah, I saw those options as well, but since this is an academic environment,
"average" doesn't apply :-)

Cheers,
	Ryan