Date:      19 Feb 2000 15:05:01 -0800
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        "'FreeBSD Current list'" <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Rc2 install

>> I've come to the conclusion that the -current stuff really doesn't install
>> on an 8 Meg machine anymore. I have an old 486/66 machine I'm using
>> to play with the current-RC's, and it consistantly dies loading the 'bin'
>> stuff.

Perhaps I'll make a MINIGENERIC kernel without some extraneous items
like NFS, etc.

I can attest that 3.3 can be made to install with 8MB, albeit with
some work.  I've got a machine with only 8MB that can't be upgraded or
replaced.  It took some work to get it 3.3 to install (I think I ended
up using a different installation method than I originally planned,
but I forgot to document it).  Anyway, I'll probably bring it to 4.0
after its release, and I'll try to document whatever I do to make it
happen.

Cheers,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org
   Fourth law of programming:

--BAE18391.951126130/detlev.piqnet.org--